If you are interested in how to become a Lyft driver, then you have come to the right place.
You need a full-time or part-time job with good pay and flexibility.
Am I right?
Check out the guide below for information about what these jobs involve, the average pay, and common requirements, among other things.
1. Consider the Benefits of Driving for Lyft
There are many benefits associated with doing rideshare for a living (or even a second job).
First, you can determine your pay based on the number of hours you drive and the trips that you accept.
The hours are very flexible.
You choose what works best for you.
Unlike traditional jobs, you choose the hours that are most convenient for you.
Driving also gives you a chance to earn tips.
Most passengers will leave tips.
While it might not be so much from every individual passenger, it adds up.
Also, passengers are great to interact with; especially Lyft customers!
Finally, they offer great community support for drivers whenever required.
Lyft Jobs Can Pay Well
Lyft jobs give drivers a chance to earn up to $35 an hour.
You can even make more if you choose to drive during prime time.
Your earnings go up during these times as the demand for rides is more than the drivers available.
Flexibility of Driving Jobs
You can make good money in this industry regardless of the walk of life you are from.
What’s more, you get to choose your own hours.
The best part?
You do not have a schedule that you have to follow, so you can work around your life.
That kind of flexibility is difficult to find for many people with busy schedules.
Whether you have kids, you are working another job, or you simply do not want your life to revolve around rigid schedules, these jobs are ideal for you.
Drive when it is suitable for you.
Ability to Earn Tips
You can earn tips from your passengers.
Almost all passengers leave tips, which add up to increase your earnings.
Lyft invites passengers to appreciate their rides with a tip.
Lyft passengers are very friendly and will make your experience a great one.
Most of the passengers are normally young people, some who just don’t want to own cars.
Many use rideshare daily to and from work, or for other businesses.
Basically, this job gives you a chance to share your spare seats with the most amazing company in town.
Support for Lyft Drivers
There are community support programs and other forums for drivers to use whenever needed.
There are in-person support centers, which offer vehicle inspection, face-to-face problem solving, “driver appreciation events”, training and orientation for new drivers.
These support forums offer a chance to have various questions answered, and more importantly, to have different views and voices heard.
Support questions include topics such as using their instant payout system, understanding paychecks as well as how to use the app.
The Lyft community always gives you support, whether you are driving or at a driver hangout.
2. Check Lyft Driver Requirements
The requirements are quite straightforward.
For a complete list of the official requirements, visit Lyft’s requirement page.
- Be at least 21 years old.
- Drive a 4-door car with no less than five seatbelts (including the driver’s).
- Be licensed to drive at least one year before submitting the application.
- Have an official, in-state driver’s license.
- Carry in-state insurance with the name of the driver on the policy.
- Have in-state plates with a recent registration. Commercial plates are also acceptable.
- Maintain a clean driving record with no disqualifying criminal history.
- Possess an Android or iOS smartphone that meets the least requirements to operate the most recent version of the app.
The most important one?
You must be excited to give memorable rides.
Provisions for Drivers
To get started as a driver, you must read all the requirements above to make sure you qualify.
In case you have extra questions about your qualifications – or anything else – write them down and ask your mentor after filling out the application.
Also, you might want to review the state and city requirements to know the specific requirements for your region.
To qualify, there are some requirements that your vehicle must meet.
- Your vehicle has to be 2004 or newer, but some cities have exceptions.
- Windshield, windows, and mirrors must not have large cracks.
- Tires must be in good condition with a suitable amount of tread.
- All lights, signals, high and low beams, turn signals, hazards, brakes and other lights must function properly.
- Wipers have to be functional.
- Horn has to be in good working condition.
- Body must be in good condition. Free of dents and any visible damage.
- 4-door vehicle. Every door must have a handle that is accessible from the interior and exterior of the vehicle.
- All the windows must roll down and up fully, and with ease.
- The vehicle must have seat belts that are working.
- Seat adjustments have to be in working order.
3. Know How to Become a Lyft Driver
Completing the application is quite easy.
If it easier for you, you can also complete your application online.
All that information is covered in the detailed guide below.
Lyft Driver Application
This application is free for everyone.
The application will ask you for information like your name, email address, and phone number.
Choose to log in via Facebook, which inputs your name, email address, and picture.
You do not have to complete the whole application at once.
You can do as much as you can, and then save your progress to complete later.
After completing the application, you can check the status whenever you want by visiting lyft.com/drivers.
This application is a step-by-step process.
Here are the steps involved.
Step 1: Begin Application
Enter the driver and vehicle information.
Step 2: Personal Information
Enter mailing address, license information, and authorize the background check.
Step 3: Mentor and Welcome Ride
The final step involves singing into the app and setting up your welcome ride with a mentor.
Driving Record Check
The following is checked during your driving record check:
- 21 years of age or older, with a valid driver’s license for one year or more.
- Valid personal car insurance that at least meets state requirements.
- 3 or fewer moving violations within the last three years (fender benders, traffic lights, seat belts violations).
- No major violations within the last 3 years (driving recklessly, driving on a suspended license).
- DUIs or any other driving violations related to drugs in the last 7 years are prohibited.
- No extreme infractions in the past 7 years (such as felonies involving a car, hit and run).
Lyft performs a pretty thorough background check on all applicants.
This check comprises the following requirements, in the last 7 years.
The following are grounds for being disqualified as a driver:
- Sexual offenses
- Violent crimes
- Drug related offenses
- Property damage
Additionally, people who are registered on the DOJ50-State Sex Offender Registry and National Sex Offender Registry at the time the check is done do not qualify.
This is the case irrespective of how long ago the person was added to that registry.
How to Drive for Lyft Once Approved
Driving for Lyft is easy.
After your driver application has been approved, you should get ready for your first ride.
- Start by opening the app and turning on driver mode.
- The next thing is to accept a ride request.
- Then pick up your passenger and then confirm your arrival.
- After the ride is completed, the app processes payment via the rider’s saved method.
- You can rate passengers with 1-5 starts (passengers can also rate you as a driver).
If you rate a passenger 3 stars or below, you will never be matched with them again.
4. Know What to Expect: Lyft Driver Pay
You can earn quite a good living in this industry.
As a driver, you receive 80 percent of the fares received from passengers.
This is good money considering you do it whenever it is convenient for you.
How Much Do Lyft Drivers Make?
This is one of the most important questions that most people looking for driving jobs tend to ask.
The simple answer is that average pay has the potential to be up to $35 an hour.
Making Good Money Becoming a Lyft Driver
There are various options for maximizing your earnings.
And we’d like to share some ideas!
They include the following, for starters.
Driving During Prime Time
Passengers might pay an extra amount over the normal ride minimum during peak times when the demand for rides exceeds the amount of drivers available.
Prime-time pricing increases the drivers’ earnings during those busy times by design.
Passengers are aware of the added percentage before confirming their requested ride.
Prime-time charges vary based on specific demand and supply.
Driving during prime time is a good option to maximize your earnings.
Power Driver Bonus
These are bonuses for reliable drivers and are based on the number of hours you drive in a week.
Drivers receive power driver bonuses every week alongside the rest of your income.
How to qualify?
You must maintain a 90 percent acceptance rate and drive 30 hours as a minimum per week.
10 of these must be done during peak hours.
In case you exceed that, and drive at least fifty hours per week, then your bonus will spike to 20 percent.
The good news?
There is no limit to the power driver bonus.
You can earn as much as you want.
The percentage depends on your total earnings.
Hourly & Weekly Guarantees
Lyft guarantees you average hourly pay rates, in select cities.
You have to opt-in during every pay period.
After opting in, you will get an email with guarantee hours available and you can opt-in via an included link.
Weekly guarantees for new drivers are available in some cities.
To qualify, you must receive approval for driving in a select city during the promotion.
You can gain approval either by following the application link in such an ad or by using referral codes for the specific promotion.
Also, you must gain approval within thirty days of applying originally.
You must fulfill the ride, hour as well as acceptance rate stipulations for that week.
If you can maintain these minimal requirements, then you can maximize your salary.
There are other factors, too, when it comes to deciding whether or not to pursue something like driving for a living (or even as a second job or side gig).
Here are a few that you may want to consider!
Insurance While Working for Lyft
Lyft provides drivers with some amazing insurance options, which include:
- Commercial Auto Liability – this has a $1,000,000 limit for passenger or property damage and/or bodily injury and/or third parties.
- Underinsured/Uninsured Motorist – $1,000,000 limit that covers driver bodily injuries and/or passengers and/or third parties for any damages caused by an underinsured or uninsured motorist who is at fault.
- Contingent Comprehensive and Collision – $2,500 deductible and $50,000 maximum which is applied to drivers who buy this kind of coverage on their personal policy.
When does it apply?
This covers you from the time you accept a ride until the time when the ride has ended in the app.
Lyft Driver Referral
There is a Lyft driver bonus for those who enter a promo code when they sign up.
You will qualify for a new driver bonus when you complete the driver requirements in a specific timeframe for some markets.
Once you have enough information, the next thing should be starting the application using the step-by-step process already discussed on this post.
You can sign up here, and be sure to use the promo code DRIVEGYFT to qualify for the promo bonus.
The location of the applying driver determines the amount of bonus received.
Renting a Car for Rideshare
Don’t have a car?
Still want to drive?
You can rent a car with Breeze and earn money driving for rideshare as well as other companies that provide on-demand services.
They’ll even help you to apply for these driving jobs.
If you are planning to use the Breeze program to rent a vehicle, then do not apply to any driving jobs until instructed to do so.
When applying, you can still use that promo code: DRIVEGYFT to earn your bonus.
If you’d like to look more into getting a car with Breeze, or if you’re already ready to sign up, you can get to them here.
Become a Lyft Driver Q&A
You’ve got questions?
We’ve got answers!
Others are probably asking the same questions you’re wondering about…
So here goes.
Can you drive for Lyft if you have a DUI?
The short answer is no. Lyft does a driving record check and won’t approve anyone with any DUI or drug-related driving violation within the past seven years. Lyft also does a background check that covers that same time period, screening out people with drug-related offenses.
Can you pay cash for a Lyft?
Lyft drivers are expressly forbidden from accepting any type of cash payment, including tips. When the ride ends, Lyft automatically charges the payment method on file.